NYU Stern: Five Things You Need To Know Before You Apply
August 15, 2012 :: Admissionado Team
“New York, New York, it’s a wonderful town…”
So, you’re applying to Stern this time around? Looking for some application advice that’ll nudge you into the inside track?
Your biggest asset here is understanding the ins-and-outs of the program itself, and who better to ask than our NYU Stern expert and superstar MBA Consultant Yaron Dahan?
You asked, we answered. Here are five KEY elements to understanding NYU Stern before you sit down to crank out those app essays.
- Show how you fit the school. NYU LOVES people who love NYU. Sometimes, folks will choose NYU as an alternative to Columbia, but what NYU likes to hear is that they are Number One. And, of course, it’s not enough to say it. You gotta PROVE it, by showing what you know.
- Be creative, especially in Essay 3. NYU really asks for this. I’ve had folks send in all sorts of fascinating stuff, from essays to plays, to videos, marionettes, slide shows, comic books… the possibilities are endless.
- Fit in to NYC. New York City is, well, a “special” place, and New Yorkerss are super proud of their city. This is no different for the folks at NYU, which is an INSTITUTION. Show how you fit not only with the school, but also with the city, its culture, its fast pace, its business mentality, and its unending manic rush.
- Show your entrepreneurial side. NYU wants go-getters in the form of entrepreneurs. So find your entrepreneurial fit with their program, and emphasize this aspect of your future plans.
- Leadership, leadership, leadership. Okay, maybe this isn’t so Stern-specific, but it’s no less true that the more leadership you show, the better chances you will have of getting that beautiful acceptance letter. So remember to focus down on your leadership experience, both inside and outside of the workplace.
Now that you’re “in the know” about Stern, it’s time to write those essays! Not sure how to approach them? Check out our 2012-2013 NYU Stern Essay Analysis.