So, you’ve got around five weeks left before a bunch of Round 2 deadlines hit, and you’ve still got some applications you haven’t even started yet. Are you starting to panic?
Well, forget that noise.
There’s plenty of time to do it…if you do it right. What you need is a plan, and by plan I mean timeline. A timeline set out so you can get everything done in enough time to feel good about submitting those apps, instead of worrying that you just sent out a less-than-excellent effort to some of your dream schools.
Our very own MBA guru Yaron Dahan has laid out a map for navigating the application process for three schools in five weeks, broken down on a week-by-week basis. Time to strategize…
FIVE WEEKS LEFT:
1. Contact your recommenders and get the ball rolling with your letters of recommendation, letting them know your deadlines.
2. Reach out to people from each of the three schools you’re applying to so you can get some info for your “Why School X” essays. Think alumni, current students, even faculty – folks who can give you a glimpse of the programs from the inside.
3. Start your application essays to School 1.
FOUR WEEKS LEFT:
1. Log into the websites for all three schools and start filling out the forms they’re all going to request… you know, the perfunctory paperwork.
2. Keep working on your application essays to School 1.
3. Start your application essays to School 2.
THREE WEEKS LEFT:
1. Make sure your recommenders have gotten their LORs in. If not, send them a kindly reminder of your deadline.
2. Finish your application essays to School 1.
3. Continue working on your application essays to School 2.
4. Start your application essays to School 3.
TWO WEEKS LEFT:
1. Be ABSOLUTELY sure that all your recommendations are in. To quote Elvis, “It’s now or never.”
2. Complete your online application forms to all three schools.
3. Finish your application essays to School 2.
4. Continue working on your application essays to School 3.
ONE WEEK LEFT:
1. Finish your application essays to School 3.
2. Check all three applications (forms and essays) for mistakes. Look VERY carefully over everything, as the time away from most of the material will help you to more quickly and easily spot errors that could otherwise trip you up.
3. Click submit and send them on their merry way.
4. Kick off your shoes, pour a glass of your favorite drink, put up your feet, and relax (optional, but highly recommended).